Tuesday, February 24, 2009

One Wind Turbine, One Wind Mill, and One Happy Mardi Gras

Last month we trekked over to Rhode Island and saw Lewis & Clark: Great Journey West at the IMAX in Providence. It was Ethan's and Ryan's first time to an IMAX, and they were alternately thrilled and confused. Watching Ethan react to the feel of the buffalo, looking around to try to find what was making that thunderous sound, and then exclaiming "What are those?!" while pointing at the screen was the closest I'll ever come to seeing how non-natives in the Lewis & Clark party reacted to them.

On the way there and on the way back, we were discussing one of Ethan's current favorite topics: alternative energy. On the way home, we took a scenic route down along the coast of Rhode Island (the island on which Newport is located as opposed to the other islands or the mainland). Ethan wanted to know about wind power, and lo and behold it appeared, looming above the horizon: a wind turbine. It was not too far from the road we were on, so, of course, we detoured. We found Portsmouth Abby in Portsmouth, RI. On the grounds there is a wind turbine next a parking lot on a western slope.

It is really massive, but very quiet. Here is a photo of Ethan and the turbine so you can see how big it really is:
Ethan was a little intimidated by it, so he didn't go all the way up to it. I didn't either since I wasn't wearing boots and didn't want cold wet feet for the rest of the drive. Ryan felt the cold wind when the car door opened and announced, "I can see it just fine from here, thanks."

Ethan kept calling the turbine a windmill. We explained to him that they were two different devices, but he just couldn't remember the two terms and used them interchangeably. While we talking about the differences, as if the universe hadn't provided enough adventure for one day, (Is there even such a thing as enough adventure?), we came across a windmill. This one is in Middleton, RI at the Windmill View Cottage.

Ethan was surprised at how small it was when compared to the turbine.


I didn't get to see the actual windmill. I was going to trek across the field even if I would get cold wet feet, but Ryan really didn't want to leave the car even if I carried him. So, I read while Ryan played DS and Ethan and Esther set out to learn about the windmill and get some photos.

I can't end this post without noting that today is Mardi Gras. It may just another Tuesday for most of you, but in our house, it's a holiday. I meant to order a King Cake, but I didn't get to it this year. Next year, though, there's one with cream cheese filling calling my name.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That mill is beautiful!

and I certainly hope that our theatres will be showing the movie! Our planetarium is pretty good about that, so we'll see!
I'll make certain to watch for it.

Frogcreek said...

What an awesome day. Law of attraction is a wonderful thing! Happy belated Mardi Gras!