Monday, May 11, 2020

Superoheroes, Heaven, and Hell

Ethan has been interested in religions for a while. It started when his friend Kyle found out that I don't believe in god. Ethan decided that because Kyle believes in god, he would also. I asked him what that meant, and Ethan's answer was that he just believed that there was a god. When I asked him what that god was like, he couldn't answer. When I asked him why he believed in god, he said he just did. He said he just knew there was a god.

After a few weeks, he asked me if god was a good guy. "What do you mean?"

"You know. Like Superman or the Fantastic Four."

"What god are you asking about? Do you mean Thor, or Krishna, or Jesus, or what?"

"Like Kyle's god."

"The Christian god?"

"Yeah."

"Well, in Christian mythology, god is an all-powerful being who is good if he's on your side, and he's on your side if you're Christian."

"Oh. So you mean that if you're not Christian, god doesn't like you?"

"No. If you're not Christian, that's an irrelevant question."

"So it only matters for Christians?"

"If that's the god we're talking about, yes."

"Where does that god live?"

"Generally upwards, somewhere in the sky above the earth."

"What does he do all day?"

"As near as I can tell, he watches people."

"He lives in heaven right?"

"In Christian mythology, yes."

"Kyle says when you die you go to heaven."

"What do you think?"

"I think when you die, your body turns into trees and flowers."

"That's what I think, too."

"But Christians think you go to heaven."

"Well, if you do what they think god wants you to do, then yes."

"What do people do in heaven?"

"As near as I can tell, they watch people."

"That's boring."

"I think it would be boring to watch people and never be able to interact them."

"What do Christians think happens if you're not good?"

"Hmmm. Most would say that you go to hell."

"What's that?"

"That's a place where all you do is hurt. Most Christians say it has fire and brimstone, which very hot and like coals, and you stay there forever."

"So you don't die?"

"You go there after you die."

"Oh. OK. So, but wait. Christians mommies tell their kids that if they don't be good they're going to go to hell and never get out and hurt all the time?"

"Some do."

"But you said that what they believe."

"Well, yes. I guess they do say that."

"That is just so wrong!"

"Yup."

"Will Kyle go to hell? Sometimes he's not good."

"First off, I don't think he's not good."

"Yeah, but will he go to hell?"

"I don't believe in hell, so I don't think he will."

"Oh. Good. Can I have some lunch?"

"Sure."

No comments: