Monday, August 17, 2009

Breaking Things

Not too long ago, Ethan threw Ryan's favorite Planet Hero figure (Zip) from the second story window. It broke. There was upset all around. After things calmed down, I asked Ethan why he threw Zip from the window, and he said he just wanted to see something break. I told him that we could do that in a way that wouldn't involve any one's treasured things and wouldn't hurt any one's feelings. I wasn't sure how that would look, but I knew we could do it.

We stopped at Goodwill one day to check out the books and I found ceramic cups and mugs for ten cents each. I bought them and brought them home. Today we pout a tarp outside the front windows and dropped about a dozen ceramic cups, two mugs, and the remains of one broken bowl we had in the house from the front windows. Ethan was thrilled! He and Ryan had a blast dropping them, retrieving them, and dropping them again.

It was one of those moments when it was just easy to step outside the box. I love those moments.

1 comment:

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

That looks like it was a blast. What an awesome example of finding ways for kids to get what they want and need!

Oh, and the quidditch... I totally agree. I would love it if it involved actual flying. Running around with a broom on the beach? Maybe not for me!

Maeve ended up sick on Friday and I was on Saturday, Yucky stomach bug. Things do seem to work out for a reason, yes?

10 more days... see you there!